Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 5

Since it's Catholic School's Week my class has not been getting a lot of work done. As I mentioned before, there are many disruptions that will affect the class timetable.

I taught my first lesson today. Though it was chaotic, but overall, it went well - or so my colleague teacher say. I had two stations, one for drawing and the other was for painting. I felt it was difficult to keep an eye on both groups, but I guess it will come with experience. I think I can improve on my management strategies. I handed out two pieces of paper at the beginning of the lesson - one for tracing a plate, the other for drawing patterns for the tablecloth. I thought it would be an efficient way of doing things, but forgot they were only little. Some students were confused as to which paper to use. My colleague teacher suggested, in future, I should split class in half, one group do tracing, the other drawing the patterns, thus minimising the confusion.

We also went to the local pizzeria for an excursion. The class is doing a unit called 'necessities in life', my colleague teacher discussed with the class beforehand of the restaurants they can 'open' in class, it came down to a pizza shop. It is a good experience for the students to visit the pizzeria and asks questions. We also had a few slices of pizza!
All the students were very well behaved. This brings out the management skills my colleague teacher has and how the students respect her by listening to her and be on their best behaviour. I later asked if the class will still go on an excursion if I wasn't there and she responded, "I'll ask a parent to come with us, we can't go by ourselves just in case something goes wrong" by involving the parent, we can mark off Element 7.2.3 Provide opportunities for parents and caregivers to be involved in the teaching program where appropriate of the NSW Institute of Teachers' Professional Teaching Standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment